100 Best Communities for Young People
In January 2008, America's Promise Alliance recognized Boise, ID as one of the nation's 100 Best Communities for young people.
The 100 Best competition recognizes the 100 outstanding communities across America that are the best places for young people to live and grow up. More than 300 communities in all 50 states applied for the honor this year. Boise was selected as a "100 Best" community for the second year in a row because of these programs and other services for youth:
- The Mayor’s Council on Children and Youth, which created an online network of after-school sites
- Construction of three new community centers, which will provide neighborhood-based programs for kids at three schools
- Nearly 78,000 free lunches provided by the Idaho FoodBank to youth at five Boise parks and three other locations in neighboring communities
- About $750,000 in scholarships raised annually by the YMCA to provide healthy activities for 5,000 kids
- The United Way’s Born Learning campaign is designed to encourage Treasure Valley parents to prepare their children for success in school, work and life through active involvement in their child’s earliest learning experiences.
- Dedication of 397 adult mentors and 116 high school mentors recruited by Big Brothers/Big Sisters
This is just an example of the kind of community we live in. There are so many good things happening and so many people that give because they care!
As a way to give back the Build Idaho Team is donating our time to Meals on Wheels in November 2023. We are celebrating 2023 and giving back because we can and it matters!