INSIDER'S GUIDE
TO MAKE BOISE HOME

2019 Idaho Real Estate Blog

What's Wrong with Brass Hardware? Main Boise Home Design
Is Brass Hardware really outdated? Our experts in the industry will explain the how and why of it all.

So, what is wrong with Brass hardware?  Is it really outdated?  If it is, then why is it still available at Lowes and Home Depot?

Readers, What makes brass hardware so unbearable?

Echo Garrett                                                                                                                                                               Triad Distributing NW, Inc.                                                                                                                                http://www.triad-dist.com

Posted by Echo Garrett at 8/22/2008 5:33:00 PM
Re:What's Wrong with Brass Hardware?
Outdated or Timeless?
Posted by on 8/22/2008 11:35 AM
Re:What's Wrong with Brass Hardware?
Where is the best place to shop for hardware in Boise?
Posted by on 8/23/2008 4:49 PM
Re:What's Wrong with Brass Hardware?
How much brass is hidden in the land fills? That might be whats wrong?!
Posted by on 8/23/2008 8:36 PM
Re:What's Wrong with Brass Hardware?
Outdated probably more that Timeless. There are a number of "types" of brass. Unfortunately, the builder standard that has flooded our real estate market over the last 15 years - prior to 2005, is a shiny laquered - "FAKE" brass. Consumers have been fooled in many ways by what is and is not quality when it comes to hardware.
Posted by on 8/25/2008 6:06 AM
Re:What's Wrong with Brass Hardware?
The way a home wears its hardware is like Fashion: Is it simply in vogue, or is it timeless elegance? There is a huge difference--so please let me try to explain as best I can.

It seems to me that when clothing is "in vogue", people wear it to fit in. They wear the poular styles and brands even if it doesn't "fit" them. I recently saw a 35 year old mom trying to wear the fashions of her 15 year old daughter. Sure, she looked attractive, but she didn't look her role as mother. In another case, I've seen young women dress like old matrons. Too far the other way.

In the middle, there is a timeless, classic look for a person that fits them. It's appropriate, adds to their image, and conveys a message of confidence and respect. Hardware does exactly the same thing for a home.

As a builder, I know trends. Every time I turn around there is a new finish or style "in vogue". I have a choice to buy "me too" product and "fit in" like the 35 year old mom in my example above. Or I can assess my homes style and choose the kind of timeless hardware that makes it POP with class.

To that, I say that I have no problem with Brass on the right house. Picture a Southern Colonial home without brass--it doesn't work. I say, accessorize your home with the appropriate hardware and let 'er rip--no matter the color.

> Match the architectural stylings of the home with the appropriate styled hardware.
> Us the finish of hardware that's appropriate for the hardware style and that also fit's the home-buyers preferences. Even if it means brass.
>Carry the hardware theme throughout the home--inclusive of lights, plumbing, locks, cabinet knobs. Don't forget the details like door stops, handrail brackets, and towel bars.

The trouble with Brass is not that it's a bad product--although the quality of some is better than others. The problem with brass is that it was used exclusively on new construction for so many years, that it has become symbolic of the 1970's, 80's, and 90's.

Brass shouldn't be outlawed, it just needs to be usd properly.

Posted by on 8/26/2008 1:28 PM
Re:What's Wrong with Brass Hardware?
There's nothing "wrong" with brass.... It is just outdated, and I think this is really because a lot of homeowners, don't really know what else is out there. Of course when looking at these "new" homes, hardware is never looked at. The door opens (what brass handleset?) Cabinets and drawers open (you can put pulls on these?) YES LADIES - THIS IS POSSIBLE!! There is so many different styles and finishes available you can accent your home to define you. It totally changes the look of you home and for pennies! Imagine the resale of a home just because you spent a little time updating your hardware? Move the brass out and move the "New" in.. All in an afternoon and very easy - Men are definately handy, but dont always want to take the time to "update a home, that according to them is just fine the way it is - "Nothing is broke so why fix it? Right men? Ladies - This is something even you can do and I must say is very fun to watch come together! So what do you have to lose?(but the old outdated brass) Give it a try and have fun with it!
Posted by on 8/30/2008 9:10 AM