2021 BOISE IDAHO REAL ESTATE BLOG
Is Mold Panic Setting in? Main Idaho Real Estate Insights

Mold can grow just about anywhere with moisture. Sides of houses, brick, concrete, and it thrives in the soil of your yard and garden. Indoors, mold lives in shower and sink drains, grout, potting soil and the kitchen sponge. Are you hyperventilating yet?

A little bit of mold is nothing to worry about, as long as you can identify the cause and promptly clean it up with a solution of bleach and water.

But before we continue, just a reminder that any mold can make you feel sick, especially if you suffer from allergies or asthma.

Let’s get the facts straight

Black mold, the infamous Stachybotrys chartarum is not toxic, but toxigenic. It's capable of producing mycotoxins and though this uncommon mold species is especially feared for its potentially dangerous effects.

You may have read an article about how toxic mold is making your family ill. Some websites even call it “toxic mold syndrome,” warning of horrible side-affects like memory loss or idiopathic pulmonary hemorrhage. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), however, say that “These case reports are rare, and a causal link between the presence of the toxigenic mold and these conditions has not been proven. … All molds should be treated the same with respect to potential health risks and removal.”

Stachybotrys chartarum is unusual among household molds, especailly in dry climates like Southern Idaho because it requires moisture to survive. Mold is often a result of a bigger problem that can be as simple as a dripping faucet or as major as, well, a leaking roof.

If you fing a patch of slow spreading black stain on your wall, don’t bother wasting your time identifying the possible black mold. Scam artists abound, and the Environmental Protection Agency even says that “In most cases, if visible mold is present, sampling is unnecessary.”

No established standards for judging what is an acceptable amount of mold but would it matter it there was? Even the non-toxigenic types can cause allergic reactions and make your life miserable. Remove it!

How to prevent and remove mold!

Mold needs three things to survive:

  1. Moisture
  2.  A surface to gow on
  3. A source of food

The simplest and most effective way to prevent mold from growing is to ensure it never even gets moisture. Clean your house often, keep it  dry and well-ventilated. Bathrooms is a common place water has a chance to start a mold proble as it gets into the grout around tile and shower curtains.

What to do to solve your mold problem

Inside the house you can clean and remove mold on hard surfaces with bleach. The CDC recommends no more than one cup of bleach to one gallon of water.

To remove mold on exterior surfaces, use a pressure washer, and make sure that everything is properly sealed.

When mold is inspected on porous surfaces, like drywall, carpeting or furniture, dispose of the affected sources before it  spreads further and exacerbates your allergies.

 
Posted by tlangford at 12/10/2018 6:40:00 AM
Account Login   Account Registration
Comments (0)
No comments yet, login to post a comment.

READY TO LEARN MORE?
Client Care

208.219.7683

 

Let's get started